I WANT TO BUY A PROPERTY
Unless buying a brand new home most people buy houses through estate agents
However before rushing into a purchase you need to know how much you can afford and at the same time, consider what you REALLY want from your first/next home
The following section should help give you a clearer idea
FIRST THINK ABOUT WHERE YOU NEED TO LIVE
- Do you need to be near work?
- Consider - The further you live away from work, the more it will cost you in time AND money to get there.
- Do you need to be near relatives?
- Consider - Do your relatives baby sit for you? Are you needed to help care for a relative?
- Do you need to be near a particular school?
- Consider - Even if you don't have kids now, you may well do in the future, so think about where you would prefer them to be educated before you buy. A good school is surely worthwhile.
- Would you prefer to be near friends?
- Would you prefer to be near shops and other facilities?
- Do you need to be near to a bus stop, sports club, gym, nursery, etc?
- Would you prefer to live in a town or village?
- Do you like the idea of living on an estate?
THEN THINK ABOUT WHAT TYPE OF HOUSE
What type of house would you like?
- Terraced, Bungalow, Flat, Detached, Semi
- Would you like a brand new or pre-owned home?
- What floor plan do you prefer?
- Are you into DIY?
- Would you consider a home which needs improving & could ultimately make you a useful profit. However you will need the resources to finance a DIY project. Have you got the resources?
AND WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE IN YOUR HOUSE
- How many bedrooms do you need now and in the future?
- How many reception rooms
- Do you prefer a separate dining room?
And maybe a conservatory ?
- A nice Kitchen
- Additional Ensuite bathroom(s)?
- Do you need a hobby room or extra space?
- Do you need a study?
- Do you work from home and need an extra room or space to do so?
- Fireplace Do you need plenty of storage?
- Is a Hallway important?
- Decor - Modern or Traditional?
- Consider - Would you be willing to redecorate to your taste. Or would you prefer ready to move into with little to do?
- Do you intend to have/add to a family in the near future?
- Consider - Is it worth buying a bigger home in preparation for a growing family?
- Where can you park your car(s)?
- Would you like a garden?
- or would gardening be a chore?
- Do you regularly have people to stay?
- and need an extra bedroom?
MAKE A PLAN
Why not prepare a list with two columns one containing what I/we
WANT IN A HOUSE DON'T WANT IN A HOUSE
This will help you build a picture of exactly what you want from your first/next home and allow you to quickly eliminate those homes which don't meet up to your requirements and save you an enormous amount if time carrying out unnecessary viewings
Without proper planning many people will move into a home and then find it does not meet with their needs. Avoid this by planning now.
Once you see something you like, contact the agent involved involved to arrange a viewing.
Many people prefer to view a selection of homes to get a good idea of what is available.
Finally you will find the home of your dreams. The way forward is then to make an offer to the estate agent